Friday, January 9, 2009

Welcome Everyone!

After months of procrastinating, I am finally relieved, yet excited to launch the debut of my new blog titled "Randall and Kimball." After leaving the Oasis concert at AllState Arena on a cold, bruising, and unforgiving December night, I took the #81 bus to the Lawrence Red Line stop to sleep overnight at my friend's place in Uptown/Andersonville. It was during that long bus ride from Jefferson Park to Lawrence that I happen to notice the Kimball Brown Line station. When I was taking my TEFL certification class, I would take the brown line up to Montrose; Kimball is the last stop on that line. After boring myself of listening to the audible CTA voice that would say "Next stop at ________ and Lawrence," I figured it would be slightly amusing to have a bus stop named "Randall and Kimball." The name is a satirical take on my birth name, and also pays homage to my favorite CTA line.

After graduating from UIC in May 2007, I soon discovered how much different my expectations would be. I was coming off a successful internship at Comcast SportsNet Chicago, and had ended my last semester at UIC on a very positive note. I soon began to acquire new connections, and started networking throughout the Chicagoland area in hopes of landing a job in media. During that summer, I kept striking out, and worked at a job I wasn't particularly thrilled at. This past summer, I was laid off and went on a full-blown job search that yielded very little returns. It was during that summer that I decided to look into the possibility of teaching overseas.

As the economy sank further and further into the abyss, I realized how much more lucrative the idea of teaching overseas would be. There was nothing for me lose at this point. So, I went ahead and took classes for my TEFL certification in the Fall, and applied for jobs in South Korea. Soon afterwards, I accepted an English-teaching position in Korea through the EPIK (English Program in Korea) Korean Ministry of Education program. Once I receive my work visa, I should be ready to leave towards the end of February, and be placed near the Busan metropolitan area (Southeast Korea) teaching middle to high school students.

I am eagerly excited about the opportunity to live overseas for the first time ever. Granted, it is nerve-wracking; however, I am up for the new, everyday challenges that should soon await me. After spending the last year and a half with so much uncertainty and restlessness, I am anxious to start 2009 in a proactive approach.

With this blog, I greatly look forward to sharing many of my intimate stories throughout my journey with all of you. I am also aiming to use this blog as a resource for those who are interested in teaching and living abroad, and as an outlet to discuss events and issues that impact our society today. Thank you and I look forward to having you as my readers :-)

Sincerely,
Randy Kim

4 comments:

  1. Notice how the positives got 2 small paragraphs and the negatives got 3 large ...get with it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm following your blog, Randy, and your blog is also on my blogroll.

    What is your full birth name, by the way?

    Gregg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, times are tough, man. But you're making a great decision to work overseas. I really think you're going to love it...And when you return, expect to find a fresh, rejuvenated America, one replete with opportunities for smart kids like yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you! Adding you to my blog roll, can't wait to read about your adventures. I hope you have a new governor before you leave, would hate for you to miss such a glorious historical event in IL history. Oh and where you have "READ ME" is supposed to be a short blurb about yourself and/or your blog. Need any blogging tips just ask, if I don't know I can try and find someone in my list of people who does. Welcome to the blogosphere Randall!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete